Saturday, February 22, 2014

Integrity

Back then, I was not to concern about the act of integrity. For me, integrity in real life is defined as some moral value that is inscribed in civil studies or some bed time stories. Comparing to what happen in my country, integrity is something very rare to get. Corruption that make my country meet its downfall and bribes which make the law of my country can be bought makes integrity becomes something that can only be imagine. 

It still affecting me during high school. Some students work hard to get high scores, others the otherwise. I, in one of the best high school in my city, still found people who work their way to pass high school by cheating at the national exam. Some are caught red-handed during national exam. However, nothing happen to that student. Again, integrity is just some word defined by experts and dictionaries.

During orientation day in one of the best campus in the country, I found the word integrity came from orator of the orientation day. That word came out also from the chairman of student's cabinet, rector, dean, lecturer and the committee of the orientation day. I changed my definition of integrity as something you get again during your college life. 

This paradigm amplify when I start my day as chemical engineering community candidate. The community have their own culture, one of them is the culture of integrity. The term of integrity here is not only about truthfulness, but also to become a man with his word. At first, I think this is only the outcome of thinking from the former of this community. Based on what I see, every rules or law or culture is formulated perfectly, but the implementation is far from the objectives the rules and law is made. So, I am still skeptic about the culture.

What I see was something different from I see during high school or everyday news in television. The students in here really uphold their culture in their studies. There is no single person in my class who cheated even if it's only a quiz. My friends also know that they need to keep their value in their life because some day maybe one or two will run this country. Whether the country became develop or not, they know that it depends on the people who runs it. People that don't bring moral values in their mind tends to neglect moral values in their action.

I realize that the key to keep this value in life is by making it a habit. Habit start with the act of imitation. Son try to act like his father by imitating what he do. If his father likes to pray five times a day, his son tends to pray five times a day. If his father likes to lie, his son tends to lie. The act of lying develop into the act of cheating and finally developing the son into hypocrites and corrupt person. This chain of chaos can be broken by giving good examples to people. By giving good examples also, people develop their mindset and understand the effect of bad habits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment